Dear ABASA community,
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we try our best to navigate the COVID-19 crisis.
After the governor’s most recent announcement and NC’s extension of phase 2 until at least mid-July, it is with intense disappointment that I announce that we are cancelling the spring/summer 2020 season. NCASA reminds us that we are not able to access our insurance unless we comply with state regulations, which currently forbid contact sports, including soccer. As always, our top priority is the safety of our community members, and this decision will do the most to ensure it.
We have discussed many options for refunds and have arrived at the following:
- You may fill out THIS FORM to request a check for a partial/prorated refund in the amount detailed below. You must complete the form by Aug. 2 to receive a refund. You will receive a confirmation message when your request is received.
- You may request that ABASA make a donation in your name to the local Asheville non-profits My Daddy Taught Me That (MDTMT), whose mission is to foster the development of boys to become healthy, honorable men and My Sistah Taught Me That (MSTMT), a young girls’ developmental program designed to encourage, educate, and empower. You may choose this option by completing THIS FORM by Aug. 2.
- You may choose not to request a refund, in which case we will place the remainder of your spring season fees into a fund supporting field development, league prizes, sportsmanship free-play passes, and good-will scholarships within ABASA. You may remember that we were still in the process of recovering from the JBL flooding only a short time ago. If you are in a position to comfortably leave your money with us, we will ensure you that it will go towards the preservation of our soccer association and the improvement of your soccer experience when we are able to play again. If we do not hear from you by Aug. 2, 2020, this will be the default option.
Please share this email within the league so that anyone who would like a refund can receive one. Captains, do not assume that your players have seen this message. A Spanish translation is available below.
Refund amounts: (After the removal of the $30 state fee which goes directly to NCASA)
Open division ($100 and 3 games played): $50.30 refund*
Coed division ($80 and 3 games played): $36.30 refund*
Women’s division ($60 and 3 games played): $22.30 refund*
Over-40 division ($80 and 4 games played): $30.40 refund*
$80 additional team fee: $40.30
$60 additional team fee:$27.30
*How refund amounts were calculated:
- Subtracted the $18 registration and field processing fee (paid to an outside vendor)
- Subtracted the $3 credit card processing fee (only once)
- Subtracted a $5 administration fee to keep a positive bank balance for future ABASA programming and interim costs in case of 100% refund requests
- Divided the remaining amount by 10 (promised number of games) giving us a value for each game
- For open, coed, and women’s–multiplied the per-game amount by 7 (missed games) giving us a refund amount
- For over-40–multiplied the per-game amount by 6 (missed games) giving us a refund amount
If you have questions or concerns, please contact me at email@example.com.
Otherwise, fill out THIS FORM to make arrangements for your partial/prorated refund.
I’m so sorry that we were not able to finish out our season together. I’m sorry to those who have suffered these past few months. I’m sorry for the distance you feel from your teammates, opponents, captains, coaches, and players. I’m sorry that we’re not able to offer you the refuge of soccer right now. We are all looking forward to getting back out on the field with you as soon as is safely possible.
Felice Lopez Bell